Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Should I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?

I bought the car used many years ago. It runs a bit rough, especially in colder weather. This is more noticeable during idle and not while driving.



It will sometimes stall out when the car is cold, turned on, and then put into reverse. This stall out can be prevented by giving it a lot of gas. However, this is the only time this has stalled out.



I have kept up all maintenance on the car and recently changed the air filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires.



Before I spend a lot of money for the coil pack, does anyone think that this will help?



If so, how hard is it to replace it? Is it a matter of unscrewing the old one and putting the new one on, or is it harder than that?



Thanks.Should I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?
Have a scan done of your stored trouble codes, if you go to Auto Zone they will run a scan free. Then you will find out whats wrong. You may have changed plugs that didn't need changing. Always try to get a scan done before you start buying parts. You could have a bad sensor, or a myriad of other problems having nothing to do with the ignition system. Mechanic for 37 yearsShould I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?
Before spending the money on something that you're not sure will fix it, have it checked out.



You can try the local parts stores, but if their scanners won't tell anything about it, you will have to take it to the dealership repair shop, or a good local independent shop. Soemtimes, there will be a problem that just won't store a code. The dealership personnel will usually have more experience in them and know what to look for (like carbon build-up in the throttle body, which could be the problem).



Most shops will charge a 1-hour check-out fee, which can be anywhere from about $70 to about $100 depending on local labor rates. This will be money well spent to find the real cause of the problem instead of replacing one part after another trying to fix it.Should I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?
that doesn't sound like a coil pack bad on it,it sounds more like a sensor going out on it,before you spend anything on it why don't you take it to auto zone or advance and let them scan the computer on it,this will tell you if you have any bad sensors on it,its way better than buying parts and putting on it,not knowing if they will fix it or not,have it scanned then they can tell you probably whats bad on it,good luck with it.Should I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?
I've seen the throttle body with carbon build up cause stalling out when cold. Sound like this may your problem. hope this helpsShould I replace the coil pack on my 2000 Plymouth Neon with 55k miles?
no. it is easy to change but doubtful it would help. check the throttle body for lots of carbon build up. clean as needed. my 3.9 dakota (known for rough idle issues) straightened up a lot after applying a really good TB cleaner and some combustion chamber cleaner (good ole mopar stuff too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment